Photography ~ Cooking ~ Life

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mushroom and Gorgonzola Soup

Okay. Stop right there.

If you don't like mushrooms, do not read any further.

If you don't like blue cheese, you're really not going to want to go any further.

Unless you like both of them together, I'm warning you. This is about mixing the two. In a soup. And if you do like both, it's fabulously delicious. Really. Truly. I promise.

I tasted a mushroom Gorgonzola soup at New Seasons grocery. And it was good. Really good.

Which made me decide that I wanted to try and replicate it here at home. I do that a lot. I try things out and about around town, and then I come home and cook. It's fun, it's less expensive, and honestly, it tastes better. At least we (hubby and I) think so.

I found a recipe online to use as a guideline, and anyone who knows me knows that that's how I generally use recipes. As guidelines. lol

So here goes. The recipe as it was publised at All Recipes, with my changes (or corrections if you will) following.


Mushroom and Gorgonzola Soup
Serves 6

Ingredients:
Directions:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 (13.75 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 cup half-and-half cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves,
crumbled
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue
cheese
1 tablespoon sherry
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1. Place 2 tablespoons butter in a skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook and stir until onions are soft and mushrooms reduce, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Meanwhile, place the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a pot, and melt over medium-high heat. Stir in the flour; cook and stir until mixture turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Gradually pour in the chicken broth, half-and-half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and rosemary; stir to blend ingredients. Reduce heat to medium. Stir the gorgonzola cheese and mushroom mixture into the chicken broth mixture; bring soup to a simmer and cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Place half of the soup into a blender. Blend until smooth, and return to the pot. Stir in the sherry, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes more. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired, to serve.

_________________________

Okay, now on to the changes I've made.

Based on the comments at the website I went ahead and doubled the mushroom content. That's what I do for my Hungarian Mushroom soup (thought I had posted that here at some point but can't find it), so I knew it would work fine. I also chopped the mushrooms instead of slicing them (and since later on you're supposed to blend the soup anyway, step saved).

For those who wish to make this soup just a bit healthier....

I used homemade vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.

*I used olive oil to saute the onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
*I replaced the half and half with 1% milk (it's just as good, just not as rich, trust me).
*I used 1-1/2 Tbs. of fresh rosemary instead of dry.
*Though I would have used red wine in place of the sherry (I don't keep sherry on hand), this time out I omitted it altogether.
*I also used 5 total Tbs. of flour to make the sauce. If you prefer a thinner soup, by all means go ahead and use 2 or 3 Tbs., or adjust to your own liking.
*I didn't add any extra salt because there's plenty of salt in the cheese!

If you make this soup I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

I served it with a salad of greens, cranberries, and walnuts, with an orange champagne vinegar (available at Trader Joe's).

Salute!

1 comment:

Snap said...

I LOVE mushrooms and I LOVE Gorgonzola. This is one I'll definitely try!

Related Posts with Thumbnails