Photography ~ Cooking ~ Life

Monday, May 14, 2012

Tissue Paper Flowers

Omg...I'm going to have these pretty little flowers all over the house!!


There are a myriad of very good tutorials out there on the web for making paper and fabric flowers, but, when I saw this idea via Pinterset (through the Fiskars website), at that very moment I decided I had to have a scalloped edged punch in my possession.

And in my possession it is, though it didn't happen right away.

A little over a week ago I visited JoAnn's to find all of the punches on sale, buy one, get one half off. Okay. At the time I thought to myself...I can do that. Or...I can wait a few days and hopefully the punches will be free and clear of sale prices so I can use my coupons. Hmmmm....What to do, what to do. I'm all about saving a little money (though I can be impatient in the process).....

The sale was a good one, don't get me wrong, but not good enough. Not when I've got some serious coupons. And not when these punches run $21 to $25 each. Yes, I said each. Yikes! That's a lot to shell out for anything, let alone a paper punch!

So, I waited.

Last Monday morning, bright and early, I was in my local JoAnn's store. Low and behold, the punches were not on any kind of sale. At all.

I whipped out the coupons (40% and 50% respectively).

I debated long and hard, fussing between the smaller scallop or the 3.5". I decided that the larger one is more pleasing to my eye, and I figure I can use it for a myriad of other things. As it turns out, I love it!

Since I was able to use my coupons, I also bought this darling bird. Another super-sized punch (2" x 3"), but I've got plans for this little baby, right along with the scallop. Just you wait and see.

The instructions are as easy as stated at the Fiskars website. You fold the tissue paper so that you can punch several layers out at once, place the tissue in the punch, and there you have it.

I had my doubts about the punches cutting through tissue paper, even if folded and stacked. I've had quite a few years of experience with punches and they don't always work according to planned. Not only does this punch cut through, it cuts through well. I used 9 layers and it was a breeze.

To assemble the flowers, layer as many 'petals' as you want (8-9 is what I used for the flowers pictured), staple the center, and commence fluffing and scrunching, starting in the center and working your way outwards.


You're only limited by the color of your tissue paper, and the ability of your fingers to fluff and scrunch without cramping. Once you get the hang of it things go pretty quickly, but I did have to slow production at one point to give my fingers a rest. lol

It's nice to have dipped my hands back into something creative. Maybe this will be the catalyst to the full swing of things.

One can only hope. I certainly need a catalyst of some kind (and to get back to work). That and a good pair of glasses. But that's another story for another day.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Such pretty flowers! I remember making them as a child, without the punch! Just using scissors...the punch would make it really nice. Now I am going to have to go to Joann's and look!

teri said...

I LOVE paper flowers!! I made a bajillion of them for my daughters wedding shower, from book pages. Yours are really lovely!- Thanks for stopping by my place the other day!

1950s Atomic Ranch House said...

Beautiful!

Snap said...

Fun!!!

indybev said...

I remember making Kleenex flowers by tearing off each end, wrapping a loop of floral wire tightly around the middle, then gently pulling apart the layers. With the jagged torn edges, they looked just like carnations! We wrapped the wire with floral tape and put them in bud vases.

Related Posts with Thumbnails