Photography ~ Cooking ~ Life

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Oatmeal Cookies - Revisiting an Old Favorite w/ Cocoa Nibs

What are those you ask?

These are cocoa nibs.


And they are addictive. Terribly addictive.

What are cocoa nibs exactly?

Simply put, cocoa nibs are cocoa beans that have been roasted (sun dried is preferable) and crushed into small chunks. In other words, raw chocolate.

They are an excellent source of several minerals (calcium, iron, copper, zinc and potassium), and one of the best sources of magnesium, which most Americans are deficient in.

Nibs are considered one of the 'super foods' as they are high in antioxidants. 

I've accumulated several recipes that call for nibs, but up until this past Christmas I had never been able to find them locally. I came across Ojio Raw Organic Nibs at New Seasons Market, coming face to face with several bags of them sitting on an end cap, daring me to buy them.

I hesitated because of the price. They are fairly expensive, especially the organic nibs like I purchased, but the desire to try them pushed me over the edge. I threw them in the basket and considered them a splurge.

The only thing I've done with them so far is to add them to cookies, but there are various ways to use nibs (if you're interested just do a Google search). However, the focus of my post today is revisiting a tried and true (and favorite) oatmeal cookie recipe.

The recipe.....Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies.....with roughly half a cup of raisins, and 1/4 cup of cocoa nibs added in (give or take). Omg.....heavenly.

You could also add dried cherries, cranberries, or all of the above. Wink

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails